Old Collegians Association
Touch with the Past. Forming the Future.
All past students of Concordia are members of the Concordia Old Collegians Association (COCA), a vibrant organisation with a strong sense of loyalty and belonging to the College. COCA provides a valuable link to the College for past students and fosters a sense of community and belonging.
COCA activities include:
- Contributing to an active program of reunions and events
- Supporting Old Collegian Interest Groups
- Providing an annual scholarship to support an Old Collegian’s child or grandchild
- Providing financial support to College projects
- Sharing community news
The Concordia Old Collegians Committee is made up of enthusiastic and committed past students from a range of years.
Members: Matthew Bruenning ('16), Nikolai Leske ('15), Hannah Lewis ('13), Chris Symons ('12), Amanda Rebbeck ('91), Vicki Pese ('78), Sharon Kretschmer ('77), Sue Spry ('74), Mark Fortunatow (’74), Nadine Williams ('57), John Temme ('55), and Dr. Warwick Raymont ('54).
COCA’s origins can be traced back to 1920, when a Concordia College Old Boys Association was formed. A few years after the first girls were enrolled at Concordia in 1927, a Concordia Old Girls Association was established. In 1963, the two groups were formally combined.
Throughout this period, the Association has helped maintain important links between Old Collegians and with the College. A variety of social and community events enable past students to connect with each other. Over the years these have included year level reunions; regional reunions in the Barossa/Riverland and the Eyre Peninsula, South Australia and Victoria; the 60+ lunch; and the formation of interest groups including the COCA Cricket Club and Pedal Prix. The annual highlight, however, has been the reunion weekend when old collegians from many different years have participated in a variety of events including ‘Back to Concordia’ morning and celebration dinner, sporting events and tours of the College.
COCA has continued to serve the College community in a variety of ways. From the beginning, the provision of funds for significant College projects was a major focus. The first public address and automatic bell system in 1963 was COCA’s gift to the College. Financial support for the refurbishment of the ‘old chapel’ (now The Suaviter) was major venture during the 1990s. The Association purchased display cabinets for archival materials and contributed to various service projects within the College. For many years COCA has provided a scholarship for the son or daughter of an old collegian.
Concordia’s history rests with its old collegians, and it was fitting that in 2009 COCA funded an oral history project on the Media Centre, formerly the seminary, prior to its demolition. Past students of all generations continue to value the Heritage Centre and its rich collection of photos, documents and other items which reflect 125 years of College history.
In March 2015, COCA funded a Heritage Trail, which comprises 14 stations set around the quadrangle and brings to life the Concordia’s history through images and stories of the school campus and its buildings.