“There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.” – Walt Disney
We congratulate all those students from Years 7–12 who participated in the Concordia 26 Book Challenges this year. We held a special celebration to thank the members of the 2021 Book Council for their work in creating and promoting the challenges - Aryan, Matilda, Victoria, Lily, Tahlia, Alicia and Jack. We thank our wonderful library staff for their constant support of our readers, their beautiful 26 Book Challenge displays and their fabulous book recommendations for cryptic categories.
Participating students had to read a diverse range of books across the year. Some examples:
- a book with someone’s name in the title
- a book published before 1950
- a book about someone who changed the world
- a book with a cover that is primarily a primary colour
- a book in which a South Australian location appears, or a book written by a South Australian author.
Students reported that some of the most challenging categories were:
- a book with a family member term in the title
- a book that was turned into a musical
- a book that has been mentioned in another book
Our celebration involved a lolly buffet, our own tribute to Mrs Pratchett’s sweet shop from Roald Dahl’s “Boy” and three lucky students, chosen randomly, won book vouchers for completing the 26 Book Challenge. We had over twenty dedicated readers complete the mission – a mammoth effort!
“Just the knowledge that a good book is awaiting one at the end of a long day makes that day happier.” – Kathleen Norris
Enrichment and Extended Learning