1. Where were you before this and what persuaded you to join Concordia College?
Prior to Concordia, I was working at Mercedes College. What persuaded me to join Concordia College was the collaborative nature of teaching here and the Firm in Principle, Gentle in Manner ethos. The sharing of knowledge, strong Christian values and leadership from the College leaders also appealed to me. It is also nice to live nearby and ride my bicycle to work each day, something that appeals to the country boy in me.
2. Three words to describe you.
Enthusiastic, passionate, caring, talkative (oops, that’s four).
3. What is your motivation or inspiration in your role?
My motivation above all else is that I like to help others. My role allows me to do this by guiding and nurturing students’ love of learning. I like to create a positive ‘have-a-go’ attitude in my classroom and am constantly inspired by students becoming brave risk-takers with their learning. I also find inspiration from observing little acts of kindness between students in the classroom/schoolyard every day.
4. If you had a superpower, what would it be?
To be able to relive watching the final moments of the last Showdown for the first time… over and over and over and over (sorry Power fans!)… No seriously, my superpower would be to be able to eliminate all forms of racism and discrimination.
5. Who would you invite to a dinner party of six guests and why? Alternatively, tell us something you might like to share that we could not possibly know?
- My late Grandma. For her wisdom, selflessness and love.
- My wife and two sons. My family.
- Jurgen Klopp. Liverpool Manager. He went into my favourite soccer club and fixed it.
- Mum and Dad (they operate as one). Loving, humble and hard-working.
In terms of interesting facts - I have fed a 9.5 metre Anaconda snake. It was a unique way to cure my fear of snakes. Thanks Terry (Reptile Keeper) and an old work colleague at Adelaide Zoo. Oh yes, I have also fed and interacted with Orangutans, Chimpanzees, Gorillas, Leopards, Tigers, Lions, Rhinoceros, Giraffes, Chameleons, Giant Panda… the perks of working in marketing at Adelaide and Monarto Zoos.
I also managed the Capri Theatre when it literally blew up… and had it operating again within 48 hours.