Last week, the Australian Band and Orchestra Directors Association (ABODA) Festival took place at Westminster School. This three-day, statewide competition gives all levels of school and community ensembles an opportunity to perform and receive feedback from esteemed adjudicators. Whilst the process of preparing the students for such events often has a greater impact on their development than the actual competition performance itself, I’m pleased to share Concordia’s excellent results with you.
- String Ensemble – Gold and Overall winner of Open Strings/Orchestra section
- Big Band 1 – Gold, Advanced Stage Band section
- Big Band 2 – Gold, Intermediate Stage Band section
- Concert Band – Gold, Advanced Concert Band section
- St John’s Campus Concert Band – Gold, Novice Concert Band section (*first time they’ve entered this event)
- Chamber Strings – Silver, Novice/Junior String Ensemble
- Wind Ensemble – Merit, Intermediate Concert Band section
I’m also pleased to report that the students not only represented the College with excellent musical performances, but they displayed outstanding teamwork, respect for each other, as well as respect for the other performers throughout the Festival. They really were an example to others.
Many thanks to the wonderful directors and assistants who work with our student ensembles each week, as well as to Jenni Watkins (Music Assistant) for her meticulous administration of the logistics relating to this huge event.
Director of Music
Annually, the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra runs an event titled “The Big Rehearsal”, which is an opportunity for students to spend a day with the ASO, sitting alongside the performers, rehearsing and experiencing a day in the life of an orchestral musician. This year, Sterling 7AMA, Caleb 7AMA, Haneulle 8EJO and Thomas 11CFI attended the event. After a full day of rehearsals, the students performed for parents and friends in a public concert, playing alongside their mentors. Each of the students found the day to be an enjoyable and rewarding experience.
Director of Music