Concordia College students have achieved amazing results in this year’s Oliphant Science awards, with students receiving their prizes at the presentation ceremony on Friday 21 October. The Oliphant Science Awards are a statewide competition recognising outstanding student work in a range of categories, including:
- Crystal Investigation
- Models and Inventions
- Programming, apps and robotics
- Scientific Inquiry
- Scientific Writing.
Over 100 schools were involved with more than 2,200 entries this year. The highlight of the evening was the presentation of the Oliphant Trophy. Awarded to the student with the most outstanding science content of all the entries in the state, the 2022 Trophy was presented to our very own Isaiah 12CFIN! He also won 1st prize for Scientific Writing and the Australian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology prize for most outstanding entry with a biochemistry or molecular biology theme.
Other prize winners include:
- 1st prize: Xavier 2B for Models and Inventions
- 3rd prize: Lola 2B for Multimedia
- 3rd prize: Oliver 7SCOO for Programming, Apps and Robotics
- 3rd prize: Caitlin 8JLOM, Emily 8JLOM and Emma 8JLOM for Photography.
Highly commended certificates were awarded to:
- Cameron 8ABAR, Connor 8ABAR and Daniel 8ABAR for Games
- Isabel 8JHEA, Laura 8JHEA and Amber 8JHEA for Multimedia.
- Annabel 12SKLE for Scientific Writing
- Lyora 12JLEY for Scientific Writing
Thanks to the following teachers for their contribution in supporting our students in preparing their entries: Rachel Muldoon, Emma Rieger, Laura Austin, Julia Lombardo and Stuart Packer. I would like to also acknowledge the parents for their important role in encouraging their children in the competition.
Congratulations to all of the students who participated in the Oliphant Science competition this year and we look forward to seeing more outstanding entries in 2023!
Dr Jennie Finch
Oliphant Science Awards Coordinator